Make no mistake, one of the major must-haves in our health and beauty list of desirables is ‘great skin’, especially when it’s all about the face.
So, what better way to reach that pinnacle of beauty than to indulge in a little achievable good old fashioned facial steaming. The benefits of steaming face at home are bountiful.
Here are some of the best ones: defying the aging process, retaining elasticity, smoothing away fine lines and wrinkles and emanating a glowing skin.
It really is not rocket science but it does take a pinch of know-how and discipline to bring this time-tested practice into your beauty regime.
Why Should You Steam Your Face at Home?
The best thing about steaming your face at home is that it saves you precious time and money. No traipsing to the local beauty salon or spa, or spending hours trawling through internet sites to find which spa or salon to go to, and it really doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg to keep your face bright, healthy and free from city dust and grime either.
You can get yourself a country air healthy look from the realms of your own front room.
Types of Facials
Depending on your schedule you can indulge to differing levels of facial steaming from the ‘quickie’ in the shower to the ‘full facial’ in the boudoir – comprising of cleaning, steaming, toning, moisturizing and massaging.
Below we’ll take a look at how to steam, which products to use, what sort of regularity of steaming is required and the benefits therein.
How to Steam Face at Home
Here’s a step by step guide on how to have a full facial steam at home. It should help you to get an idea of what to do when.
Step 1: Prepare Your Surroundings
Get all your items to your table in the kitchen, grab yourself a comfortable chair and make sure you’re not going to be disturbed.
It might be a good idea to put on a little relaxing music in the background. Nice, calming ambiance is a part of the experience.
Step 2: Decide on Your Essential Oils
Choose which essential oils you will be using in your facial steam. You can try out the ones we recommend in one of the following paragraphs.
Each of them has different features and benefits. Read about each essential oil before using it to get an idea what suits you best.
Step 3: Boil Some Water
Boil some water on the stove or in the microwave. Get yourself a good-sized ceramic or glass bowl to hand together with a couple of medium sized clean soft towels.
Step 4: Clean Your Face
While your water is getting hot make sure to clean your face using soap and water or a gentle cleanser. You want to ensure you begin with clean skin because the steam is going to open your pores.
If the outer layer of your skin has dirt or grim on it, then this could possibly seep into your pores once they are open. That would be both counterproductive and annoying to your skin.
Step 5: Add Essential Oils
Put your boiling hot water into your bowl and here’s where you add 3-5 drops of essential oil to enhance your steam. Don’t overdo it since essential oils can be a bit overwhelming.
Essential Oils to Use for Steaming Face
Choosing the right essential oil can greatly improve the benefits of steaming face. Obviously, you need to ask yourself for what qualities you are looking for and go for it.
Rosemary is well known for its antimicrobial and antiseptic qualities. It also tones skin and moisturizes your skin.
A good essential oil for uplifting radiance. It will also relieve stress and help you relax. Something that anyone can certainly appreciate.
Well known for its anti-aging properties. Shouldn’t ignore them. You could even use it in dermarolling.
Further Steps on How to Steam Your Face
- Without getting too close, slowly bring your face forward to hover over the steaming water. Drape a towel over your head to create a tent-like shelter. Now close your eyes and breathe deeply. Allow the heat to awaken your face and open your pores. No more than 10 minutes should suffice.
- Now your pores are freshly opened and softened you can go for the ‘face pack’ by using a little honey. Smooth it over your face and leave for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Close your pores by applying a gentle toner with a cotton wool ball (apple cider vinegar is a natural toner!).
- Lastly, apply a moisturizer to keep your face hydrated. Steaming can dry it out so it’s important to moisturize – try a face softening oil like coconut, jojoba or argan.
How Often Should You Steam Your Face?
If time allows, a facial steam of this type should be practiced a couple of times a week (find two or three alternative essential oils that work well for you and rotate between them).
If you have oily skin then look to steam just once a week and be aware that if you suffer from rosacea or extra sensitive skin then steaming just once or twice a month is enough.
Alternative Way to Have a Quick Steam
The ‘quickie’ steam is one that can be accomplished when you take a shower. Here’s how.
- Ensure the bathroom door and any windows are closed so steam can build up whilst the shower is active.
- Have the shower temperature at a hot level (without actually getting into the shower) – allow the steam to build up.
- Once the steam is built up then turn the shower temperature down and carefully and slowly enter the shower.
- Close the shower door behind you and face toward the corner of the shower where most steam is built up.
- Close the eyes and breathe deeply. The heat will soften your pores and commence a deep clean.
- A positive benefit here is that the heat from the steam will stimulate the release of endorphins into your system, these endorphins will then fight off any stress in your body thus making you feel more relaxed; when you’re relaxed your skin looks good!
- Keep in mind that the steam from the shower causes the natural oils in your skin to soften and, essentially, melt away, so you only want to look at shower steaming your face not more than once a week or once a fortnight. Like many beauty secrets, think less is more!
- Once you exit the shower you can use a little light exfoliation scrub and then splash some cool water to rinse and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Massage in a light moisturizer and give your skin a good few minutes to ‘air’ before adding any foundation or other cosmetics.
Benefits of Steaming Face at Home
Here are some of the reasons why steaming your face can be beneficial both to your health and beauty.
1. Releases Toxins
Steaming your face can help you get rid of the toxins that bother your facial skin. Steam simply raises your skin temperature and sweat glands are encouraged to release liquids (source).
They help to take away biotoxins produced by cells. Toxins are poisonous, therefore, getting rid of them helps your skin cells to continue to breathe and exchange nutrients with the environment.
2. Enhances Circulation
I’m sure you’ve already noticed that whenever you sweat, your cheeks get red. Direct warmth on your skin encourages capillaries to expand.
Consequently, more blood can go through them. More nutrients can reach your skin cells in a smaller amount of time and get into the cells.
3. Cleans and Softens Your Pores
Warm steam softens pores and helps them to open a little bit more. Therefore, all the dirt mixed with oils can get out of them and help them get cleaner.
4. Improves Receptivity to Other Facial Treatments
Having clean skin is essential if you want to truly get good results with another treatment. Imagine putting a mask on your face when your pores are closed and your skin covered with dust.
It would do more harm to your face than good.
5. Increases Natural Radiance
A natural blush cannot hurt anyone! You will look healthier and glow.
That’s one of the benefits of steaming face at home that anyone can enjoy. You will not feel the need to use makeup to get those red cheeks and sparkling skin.
6. Improves Elasticity
Warm steam can soften your wrinkles and help you to even get rid of them. Just apply some vitamin C to your skin after steaming your skin and enjoy the results (source).
As you’ve probably realized, benefits of steaming face at home are amazing. Therefore, you should steam your face according to your needs and enjoy the results.
If you have any questions, feel free to comment below. We’ll do our best to answer them!